04 Oct October is National Dental Hygiene Month! Brushing Tips from Your Local Dentist in Kirkland WA & Everett WA
We are excited to roll out our new website and blog! For our first post, we want to talk about National Dental Hygiene Month, a month of celebrating the work dental hygienists do and also raising awareness on the value of maintaining good oral health.
According to MouthHealthy.org, a website for consumers from the American Dental Association, it is recommended to brush your teeth two times a day, for two minutes, with a soft-bristled brush.
The recommended brushing technique:
- The toothbrush should be at a 45-degree angle to the gums.
- Gently move the brush back and forth in short strokes. Gentle brushing is key!
- Brush all surfaces. Outer, inner and chewing surfaces of your teeth.
- For the inside of the front teeth, position the brush vertically and make up and down strokes.
- Don’t forget to brush your tongue! This removes bacteria and keeps your breath fresh.
Flossing is very important to keep the surfaces between your teeth clean. Flossing can be done by hand, a handle-assisted flosser, or with a water flosser. If flossing by hand it is important to learn the correct method to ensure all plaque is removed. Our friendly dental hygienists can teach you the correct techniques.
Lastly, rinsing your mouth can help to eliminate bacteria and biofilm that cannot be reached with brushing and flossing. Brushing, flossing & rinsing often may help to reduce your chance of periodontal disease and dental decay. Though rinses with alcohol should be avoided due to their potential to cause dry mouth, according to MouthHealthy.org
Call our office to schedule an appointment with one of our outstanding dental hygienists!
Charles Kim, DDS and Young Kim, DDS
Kristen, our lovely hygienist at our dental office in Everett, Washington.